Monday, August 11, 2008

A Part of History

Ok, I only have to put this post in here because this was such a big deal. It may be really boring to some of you...I would be bored if I wasn't actually apart of it. So, when the fam was here we got a special tour of the Capitol. Brandt and Gina came, along with Gina's parents. We get to the Capitol and our tour guide starts talking about protests going on and how the Republicans won't leave the building. I will just say that I am not a political person at all and had no idea what they were talking about. Turns out that the House of Representatives adjourn for the month of August (5 weeks) and the Republicans have been fighting to get a vote on an energy bill to help the United States become independent on resources. So Speaker Pelosi and the democrats have gone on vacation, while the Republicans have been going to the Capitol every day in protest to get Speaker Pelosi to readjourn and get a vote on this energy bill. Note that they have been protesting with no lights, microphones, or TV cameras. Are you guys bored yet??? So while we were there, we got to sit on the floor of the House of Representatives and listen to the Republicans explain and fight for this bill to be passed. Our tour guide said this NEVER happens and it was cool to see, and to stand and clap for the issues and a lot of time it was chanting "vote, vote vote!" It was very cool to be there during this "historic event." Obviously there was a lot more to it than that, but I will stop there. I feel very cool now...thank you for letting me share!

2 comments:

Kaydee said...

Fun stuff!!! I heard it was pretty sweet!!! Man we miss you guys tons and we are so glad we got to come and see you guys!! Can't wait for you guys to come to UTAH!!! Whoo hoo party like a rockstar for four whole months!!!

Dillon said...

You guys are very fortunate to have been there. I am proud to admit that I have been following this whole thing very closely. Pelosi is a schmuck for not letting them have a vote.